A Curious Mind W(o/a)nders

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Books

-
A few books which seem to be heavily recommended, don't know when I'll have the time to get hold of/look through them:

1. Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

2. Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt

Sifted through a few pages of Blink at the Bangkok airport.

Disclaimer before you read on: I've read none of the above two books in detail and the comments below are not a review or reflection on these books.

Somehow I'm not too impressed nowadays with these "global", supposedly brilliant idea books not backed up by detailed theories, have come across enough of these in Management already and have enough of them myself :-) [In fact after reading most such books, it's like ah! only if I were lucky enough to have known big publishers or to have been born a few decades earlier so that I could have published before this guy].

Give me the hardcore stuff, it's more fun to bleed my head struggling against an insurmountable but "authentic" wall than the faked satisfaction of superficial knowledge which reading some of these books provide...though there was a time when I loved reading them :-).

When on books, the book I'm reading currently "Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics in the Financial Markets" by Robert Trippi.
Have just read the cover page till now :-) ; hope the 'real-read' proves interesting :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home